Monday, September 14, 2009

UAAP Cheerdance Heartbreak

I am a proud Thomasian. A proud supporter of the Salinggawi Dance Troupe. After two years of not being able to watch the competition, I was extremely anxious to watch this year's showdown. We were all in high spirits and of course, with high hopes. Unfortunately, we were not able to capture a place in the podium this year. Oh well, there's always a first time for everything. I am proud of their achievements thus far. I felt that they wanted to reinvent themselves by not doing their usual pirouettes and floor exercises. I felt that if they have executed their stunts flawlessly, they would've captured at least the 3rd spot.

This is not to take anything away from the FEU Tamaraws. Their routine was impeccable and catchy. The Ateneo Blue Babble battalion's break through was a welcome change in the roster of winners. Being able to watch live from the coliseum, I was insulted with the reaction of the 3rd placers. It was not shown on TV but I think that they owe it to the non-placers to at least smile and accept their award graciously. I know that I am going to receive some heat from their supporters, and I don't care. Other teams would be more than happy to get their award, what they did was unacceptable. Congratulations to those who were genuinely happy to win!

I will not sour grape and say that any team in the top three shouldn't be there, because I respect the judges' opinions. I will not be like other fans who scream foul just because they didn't get the podium placement they want. I am happy that my school and our Salinggawi Dance Troupe were gracious even in defeat. Indeed, the loss was heartbreaking, I am sad even as I type these words. But, the show of support and camaraderie at the end of the awarding ceremony made me gloat with pride. This affirmed my belief that Thomasians, even in defeat, can still smile and be proud of our school. I AM PROUD TO BE A THOMASIAN! GO USTe!

P.S. I am not saying that ALL Thomasians received this loss with an open heart. Some were not as gracious as the others, and perhaps made comments that they shouldn't have. For that, I am apologetic. I hope that it is only out of shock that they said that, and would have an open mind about the whole event. Let us not be sour losers. Let us not be like the others who cannot accept defeat, even in victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment