Tuesday, May 29, 2012

My Love Affair with Kpop


A couple of years ago, I was a big "Kpop Hater." I just didn't see/hear what all the hype was about. I mean, what do the people like with auto-tuned songs? Girls acting all cute and lip syncing to sickly sweet melodies and dancing like high class strippers? Boys trying to act cute and manly at the same time (and failing miserably) are really not my thing. I was (and still am) a Japanese Rock fan. That, for me, was real music. Their fan service did not fall short of my expectations and my fan girl heart was satisfied.

One group changed that stigma for me. In the past, my friend would recommend kpop songs to me, ones in Japanese to suit my palette. This, however, only backfired miserably. If I wasn't told that it was in Japanese I would only believe that it was still in Korean. Needles to say, she failed in converting me. One day, as I was watching Channel V, I saw a Music Video of Aoyama Thelma featuring SOL. I had no idea who he was, but his style completely captured me. A couple of days after watching the video, I still cannot get him off my mind, so I searched for information online. I was too shocked to find out that he was Korean, a member of a Kpop group at that! I was at a loss for words. But since I didn't like prejudice, I decided to search for his solo songs on YouTube, I did not bother with his group (LOL). I was hooked. The way he sang and the way he moved was legit. I became a closeted fan of Taeyang a.k.a SOL. For some time, I only looked at him. Then I found out that his group sang an OST for a drama that I was fond of. It was stuck in my head for days when I first heard it.
It was only this year that I accepted my fate as a VIP (BIGBANG's fanclub name). I was captured and I do not want to escape. Their songs are beyond any Kpop song I have listened to (c/o my friend). Their live performances are actually live and not lip synced. Their energy is so contagious that you cannot help but want to dance along to their songs. It is precisely because of this that I want to watch them live in concert. And I feel so lucky that after a short while of becoming a VIP, they announce that they will include the Philippines in their Alive concert tour. Now the only problem is, MONEY! LOL Nevertheless, see you there! Mark my word! haha

With this, I will leave you with two of my favorite songs at the moment.

Haru Haru
  

Love Dust
  

No comments:

Post a Comment